Hear My Voice Outreach Program
If you want to discover who you are as an advocate, learn how to raise awareness about metastatic breast cancer and connect with other people living with stage IV, Hear My Voice may be for you.
Hear My Voice Volunteers are trained how to use their personal stories along with statistics and insights about metastatic breast cancer to increase awareness. You will also learn about the many offerings LBBC has to help people in your community understand their diagnosis, make informed decisions and get the support they need.
Past volunteers have “raised their voice” about metastatic breast cancer through blogging and social media outreach, spoken about their experiences in their local communities, participated on research review boards, started new advocacy organizations, shared LBBC materials with healthcare providers, called for more funding for breast cancer research, and so much more.
The 2019 Hear My Voice Training will be held in conjunction with the 2019 Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer. After the training, outreach volunteers are asked to complete at least two outreach activities in their communities and to connect with at least one healthcare provider.
Applications for the April 2019 Hear My Voice training are now CLOSED. Applicants will be notified by February 22, 2019 regarding whether or not they have been accepted into the program.
40 Monument Road, Suite 104
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
Fax: (610) 645-4573
Participants accepted into the program will:
- Participate in welcome dinner on Thursday, a full-day training held on the Friday, and attend smaller training sessions throughout the conference weekend
- Attend the Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer in April 2019
- Complete at least two individual activities in their community and connect at least one healthcare provider to LBBC within 9 months of completing the training
- Receive ongoing technical and educational support from LBBC experts, advocacy leaders and peer support from fellow outreach volunteers throughout the program
- All women and men diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer currently living in the United States
- We are seeking a diverse candidate pool, including
- Applicants of a variety of ages, including people who are under age 45 and over age 65
- Applicants with an annual household gross income at 250 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or below
- Applicants from all ethnic & racial backgrounds sexual orientations and gender identities
- Applicants with a variety of subtypes of and sites of metastatic breast cancer
Each participant will be required to complete the following within their volunteer commitment term:
- Conduct at least two individual activities in their community and work to connect others to LBBC's programs and services
- Participate in an LBBC-led outreach campaign to educate the public about metastatic breast cancer and the unique experiences and needs of those living with it
- Distribute LBBC resources to their healthcare providers
- Complete a coaching call with LBBC staff to discuss community activities
- Submit activity reports regularly throughout the program to LBBC
- Primary travel to the conference, including airfare, train, bus or car and ground transportation (up to a $450)
- Maximum of up to three nights at the conference hotel in a room shared with another Hear My Voice outreach volunteer. Hear My Voice outreach volunteers who live more than 20 miles outside the conference region are eligible for the shared hotel room
- Conference fee waiver
The program is designed to offset the cost of traveling to the conference and training. It will NOT cover all your expenses.
- Any primary travel expenses not covered by the Hear My Voice program
- Any additional travel-related expenses, such as luggage fees, flight change fees, parking fees, travel insurance, etc.
- Any hotel expenses not covered by the Hear My Voice program
- Meals, snacks and beverages not included in training and conference functions
- Rental cars
- Incidentals charged to your hotel room (including, but not limited to, room service, health club charges, gift shop charges)
You are responsible for reserving your travel and making all necessary payments upfront. Hear My Voice participants are reimbursed for their travel expenses after they complete the training.
If accepted into the program, LBBC will reserve your shared hotel room for you and assign you a roommate from the Hear My Voice Program. If you would like a single room, you will asked to pay for the full price of the hotel room. After the training, you can submit your receipt and LBBC will reimburse you for 50% of each hotel night (maximum of three nights).
Thank You 2019 Hear My Voice Program Sponsors: