Vice President, Development
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is a national leader in educating and supporting women and families impacted by breast cancer. For more than 27 years, LBBC has addressed the needs of those who are newly diagnosed, in treatment, in recovery, living with a history of breast cancer and living with a metastatic (stage IV) diagnosis. The organization reaches more than 600,000 people each year, carrying out its mission of connecting people to trusted breast cancer information and a community of support.
LBBC has an annual budget of more than $5 million, drawing from a rich and diverse donor base of corporate sponsorships; industry, federal and foundation grants; annual events; annual giving; and major gifts support. Charity Navigator has awarded LBBC four stars, its highest rating, each year for the past 13 years. LBBC’s Development Department includes a staff of seven who manage the day-to-day work.
The organization recently completed a strategic visioning project that will guide future planning. As a member of the senior leadership team, the Vice President of Development plays a key role in guiding the organization’s new strategic direction. This may include developing innovative fundraising strategies, building organizational and fundraising infrastructure to support the new vision, and supporting and guiding the organization’s fundraising staff in a new direction.
LBBC seeks a Vice President of Development to provide comprehensive leadership to its fundraising efforts, including strategy planning, oversight and implementation, ensuring that all revenue goals are achieved. Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Development is a member of the organization’s senior leadership team and is responsible for directly managing staff and external vendors.
The responsibilities of the Vice President of Development include:
Development Strategy and Implementation
- Using the organization’s strategic plan, create and implement an annual development strategy and plan that includes all aspects of LBBC’s fundraising platform, driving growth in overall revenue and donor base. Components include corporate sponsorship, special events, foundation cultivation, grant writing, direct mail, online/social media campaigns, major donor and individual annual giving.
- Work with the CEO, the senior leadership team, and key board members to develop strategy and tactics that will increase the visibility and reach of LBBC and ensure financial growth.
Donor and Sponsor Stewardship
- Work with the CEO and the development team to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new and existing individual and corporate donors to secure contributions and ensure strong, trusting relationships.
- Oversee the implementation of LBBC’s annual giving campaigns and major gift solicitations. This includes analyzing past giving trends and industry standards, and identifying key opportunities.
- In partnership with the CEO and other staff members, continue work on LBBC’s 25th Anniversary Campaign, which has a goal of raising $1 million by 2019 through pledges from individual and family donors. Responsibilities include prospect identification, crafting of approach, one-on-one solicitation and ongoing stewardship.
- Work directly with existing corporate partners to ensure fulfillment of expectations and to secure long-term commitments. Identify and cultivate new corporate partners, establishing a pipeline and reliable revenue stream.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with industry partners that provide grants and sponsorship to LBBC. Remain current with advancements in breast cancer and oversee the development of proposals responsive to scientific and market trends.
- Serve as LBBC’s representative at professional, business and civic events, speaking about LBBC to both large and small groups.
- Oversee the successful execution of all fundraising events including The Butterfly Ball (LBBC’s annual gala), LBBC’s Reach & Raise (annual grassroots yoga event), as well as constituent-led fundraisers (Do It Yourself Fundraising). Cultivate, secure and steward volunteer leadership for these events.
Staff Management and Board Relations
- Manage all day-to-day work of the Development Department, including direct management of staff and external vendors.
- Create and oversee the department budget and corresponding income goals.
- Manage the development committee of the Board of Directors and maintain relationships with board members. Solicit and cultivate financial contributions from board members and encourage their participation in special events, development activities and fundraising outreach.
The ideal candidate for this position is a confident and creative fundraiser with a strong interest in advancing LBBC’s mission. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of managing effective development teams and in working collaboratively with senior level staff and volunteers. The candidate will take the lead in crafting LBBC’s development strategy and in securing large gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations. Required experience and skills include:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Ten years of experience in fundraising and nonprofit management
- Commitment to working respectfully and collaboratively across the organization
- Proven experience in managing multi-level staff teams
- Proven experience in increasing and diversifying philanthropic revenue from multiple sources, including corporations, foundations and individual donors
- Proven experience in managing varied fundraising events, including grassroots events and formal galas
- Polished communication abilities, including listening, writing and public speaking skills
- Proven ability to craft and articulate a persuasive case for support
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to lead and develop staff and volunteers
- Strong computer application skills
- Ability to travel within the USA
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is an equal opportunity employer. We seek diverse candidates who identify with our mission of connecting people to trusted breast cancer information and a community of support.
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Joanne Bursich at firstname.lastname@example.org.